Wednesday, 24 June 2009

Walthamstow to Haverfordwest, August 2008

Last Summer I went on holiday with my parents and my sister. I was due to leave on the 8th August which was a Saturday, however this happened to clash with the first game of the new football season. It just so happened that my team Hereford United were to play away at Leyton Orient, just down the road from where I was living at the time in Walthamstow. Arrangements were hastily made and I instead booked a train to joininng my family on the in Pembroke on the Sunday, allowing me to watch the match beforehand.

This however, meant an epic 8 hour journey from London and 5 different trains. I made an early start leaving Walthamstow on a train for Liverpool Street, where I changed and took the Circle line underground to London Paddington. From there I took the train all the way to Swansea, passing the impressive Liberty Stadium on the way, on the approach into Swansea.


At Swansea I had a to change trains which gave me 40 minutes at the station. I considered having a wander towards town as I hadn't been to Swansea for a couple of years, but shortly after arriving a torrential downpour put pay to that idea. Typical Welsh weather. Instead I hung around the station and took a couple of shots. You may, or may not recognise the front of the station from the 1997 Welsh film Twin Town.



The next leg of my journey took me further West into Wales, luckily the weather picked up and I made the most of the beautiful scenery. I only seem to have the one picture, but you get the idea...


About an hour after leaving Swansea I arrived at Carmarthen station where I had to make my final change which involved nipping over the tracks onto the opposite platform.


Half an hour later I finally arrived into Haverfordwest at around 5pm.


All in all the journey took around 8 hours and I despite the fact that it took up most of the day, could not think of a much better way to spend a Sunday than riding the rails through the Welsh countryside.




No comments:

Post a Comment