Thursday, 24 December 2009

330(ish) London stations... #10 - 13

So I've been incredibly slack with this blog lately, I have been travelling by train (a lot) and have (occasionally) been taking photos, but evidently it has been the actual writing and uploading that I've not been bothering with. Updating this more regularly is on my list of things to do in the New Year, so here's to that.

Anyway I have got a few more London stations done over the last few months.

Station #10 - Clapham Junction



Early in Sepember I headed to Aldershot to watch Hereford United play away at Aldershot Town. My journey began at Clapham Junction, where I boarded a train on one of the station's 17 platforms. Clapham Junction is a hectic place, with over 2,000 trains passing through the station daily, making it the UK's busiest in terms of rail traffic. The platforms are linked by a dim, claustrophobic underpass, and indeed the station was recently named as one of England's 10 worst stations and is set to receive a share of £50 million for improvement work.

Station #11 - Tottenham Hale


A station has existed on this site since the mid-19th Century, however the current station was given a total revamp in the 1990s and none of the original station now remains. The mainline station is served by two services, the Stansted Express which links London Liverpool Street and Stansted Airport, as well as the West Anglia Main Line. The station is also served by the Victoria Line of the London Underground. Pictured is a 13.25 service to Hertford East.

Station #12 - Hornsey


Hornsey station is again with a few minutes walk of my house. The station is served by First Capital Connect suburban services that run from Moorgate and King's Cross in London to Welwyn Garden City and North Hertford stations in Hertfordshire. The tracks pictured also carry many other Northbound trains from Euston and King's Cross and as a result are pretty busy. Hornsey depot is also right next to the station.

Station #13 - New Southgate


New Southgate is another station on the above route, two stops North of Hornsey (with Alexandra Palace in between)

1 comment: